Thursday, May 28, 2015

Next Stop, Normal and Perfect.

Yesterday marked one year of Adrayn's journey with the MN Epilepsy Group.

Jeremy and I have had our issues with this group in regards to not allowing Adrayn on the Ketogenic Diet initially because they thought it was too much work for us. Then after repeated harassment on my end, the Doctor submitted and allowed this to happen (months later). Then, our lives changed.

As part of the typical medical world, this clinic requests annual testing to make sure that Adrayn is staying on track with his learning, and that the seizures did not cause damage to him cognitively.

Well... his check-up was interesting... three hours of  testing for my little man, and endless questionnaires for Jeremy and I.
We literally filled out 3 pamphlets with 60+ questions that were all the same, but said differently. Why? Does the Doctor think he'll catch me in a lie? Then... we hit one question that still burns me.

"Is your child perfect in every way?"

Wow.. really? I like that Jeremy wrote "What does this even mean??" next to the question (one of the many reasons I love that man).

Anyhoo... Adrayn was just getting over a head cold, so I'm sure being forced for 3 hours to answer questions like: "Which picture has a boy", "Jump on one foot",etc. he was ready to hit the road.

As Adrayn was in one room, Jeremy and I were taken to another room where a Child Psychologist was updating us how he was doing on his tests.

"We want to make sure your son is normal, and that he can do the menial tasks that are needed in life. At this time he does not hold the attention span like a normal child would his age to do these "boring" jobs that we put in front of him."

Normal? Is it normal to do a task that has no purpose, just to please someone?

Jeremy's response:
"Our son is home schooled, and he will not be testing the same as the other children because he is taught differently... he leads us. This month he wants to learn about letters and numbers, so we are opening him to that world. We are not forcing him, he is asking."

That is the beauty of learning. Want... curiosity... it keeps us young. I am re-learning many things in my life through and with my children... and I love it!

Adrayn is far from any kid I have ever met, so I guess he's not "normal". He is truly unique in every way possible. He will never fit a mold, or be "perfect in every way". I love that about him... and I love that about everyone!








Mucho Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment